Biogas treatment plant in Riedlingen
Lightning protection for explosive areas with the OBO isCon system
An insulated lightning protection system from OBO Bettermann secures the biogas treatment plant of Erdgas Südwest GmbH in Riedlingen in the state of Baden-Württemberg. The plant, set up in 2012 according to the state of the art, is equipped with the OBO isCon system. This ensures safe operation of the plant, which can cover the energy requirements of around 2,450 households, according to the relevant regulations, even during a storm.
Together with Andreas Wiedemann, BEx specialist at Adams Blitzschutzsysteme GmbH in Willstätt-Sand, the customer looked for a solution for external lightning protection in potentially explosive areas, in particular for lean gas combustion. The experts from OBO were the right people to contact. Together with Adams, they created solutions and selected the right products.
Biogas treatment plants are sensitive systems, which is why external lightning protection in potentially explosive areas is essential. No sparks may be created here. During planning, the experts have to take the lightning protection standard DIN EN 62305-3 supplementary sheet 2, the workplace safety ordinance and the technical regulations for operational safety into account.
With the floating discharge-free OBO isCon arrestor, which is tested for potentially explosive areas, the requirements could be implemented easily. The potentially explosive areas are now protected against a direct lightning strike and spark formation with the isCon system. In addition, meshed equipotential bonding between the parts of the system ensures reliable internal lightning protection of the system. This secures the investment of Erdgas Südwest.
The OBO isCon system – reliable and flexible
- Effective, standardised insulated lightning protection according to DIN EN 62305-3 (IEC 62305-3)
- The surface discharge-free and high-voltage-resistant method was confirmed by an independent high-voltage laboratory
- Tested for use in potentially explosive areas (Zone 1 and 21)
- Fulfilment of the minimum cross-sections of 28 mm² according to the lightning protection standard DIN EN 62305
- Safe solution against spark formation in potentially explosive areas
- The isCon® arrestor, according to DIN EN 62305-3 (IEC 62305-3), replaces a separation distance of 0.75 metres in the air.
- As it is supplied by the metre, the isCon cable can be terminated quickly on-site.